1. Gather supplies listed above. The “D” ring allows the collar to be attached to the leash, and the Adjuster clip allows for adjustability. Feel free to substitute these supplies as needed.
Hint: These instructions make a finished collar which is one inch wide, while the length is both customizable and adjustable.
Create pattern and assemble collar strap
1. Add 6” to the widest part of your dog’s neck (A).
2. Cut a strip of fabric measuring A x 2.5” (6 cm).
Hint: If measurement A exceeds the length of the fabric, cut an additional strip, join by sewing widthwise, and cut to measure A.
3. Fold the strip in half lengthwise and sew along open edge with a ¼” (0.5 cm) seam allowance.
4. Attach safety pin to one end of the strap.
5. Work safety pin through the strip tube toward the opposite end to turn strap right side out.
1. Attach a safety pin to one end of the webbing.
2. Work through strap from one end to the other.
3. Tuck raw edges of fabric on each end of the strap in toward the webbing ¼” (0.5 cm) so that they are not exposed.
4. Trim excess webbing.
Hint: To avoid fraying and/or to avoid tucking edges, secure ends with glue after cutting to fit.
5. Top stitch along all four edges of the strap.
1. Loop one end of the strap through the D clip, and the single channel side of the parachute clip.
2. Pin so strap is folded leaving 1.5” (4 cm) on the opposite site of the clip channel.
3. Machine sew folded strap in a straight line on either side of the D clip.
4. Loop the other end of the strap (without twisting) through the adjuster clip and through the double channel side of the parachute clip.
5. Work end through both channels and loop through back side of adjuster clip.
6. Fold the edge (through the adjuster clip) 1” (2.5 cm) toward the looped strap, and topstitch to secure.
Hint: Be sure to sew only two layers; The inside strap folded back once, without catching the outside strap. This will allow for adjustability!