Prepare your bag pattern pieces.
1. Click here for Bohemian Bag pattern.
2. Print, cut, and assemble pattern.
3. Cut two pieces on the fold of main fabric and lining.
4. Set aside two small scraps of lining fabric, measuring 2” x 2” (5 x 5 cm) and a piece of HeatnBond tape measuring just under 2” (5 cm).
Prepare bag straps.
1. Cut two strips measuring 4” x 3” (10 x 7.5 cm), and one measuring 4” x 21 ½ ” (10 x 54.5 cm).
2. Fold long strip in half lengthwise and shorter straps widthwise with right sides together. Sew along open edge. For your long strap piece, leave ¼” (0.5 cm) unsewn at each end.
3. Turn all fabric tubes right side out. Press. Topstitch along both long sides on each strap. For your long strap, fold outer edges of your tube inward before sewing, and top stitch along all four sides.
Assemble bag body.
1. Gather the flat bottom of your bag body pieces by machine sewing at a stitch length of 4 (without backstitching) and gently tugging at top thread.
2. Adjust gathers so that they are even. Reduce bag bottom width by 2” (5 cm) with gathering.
3. Repeat for second body piece.
4. With right sides facing, sew along bottom scoop edge of your bag.
5. Repeat for lining, leaving a 4” gap open in the bottom centre.
Attach magnetic snaps.
1. Measure and mark 1 ½” (4 cm) from the top centre of your bag lining on the wrong sides.
2. With paper side up, iron to adhere HeatnBond Ultra tape below your markings, one at a time. Let cool.
3. Peel top layer from HeatnBond ultra and place your scrap fabric so that it is covering the surface of the tape entirely. Press to secure.
4. Place your magnetic snap washer on the wrong side of your fabric, mark with white chalk pencil. Using your snips, cut miniature dashes on the marked horizontal lines.
5. Place “positive” magnetic snap through the holes on the right side of the fabric, sandwiching your lining between the front snap and washer. Fold back tabs to secure snap. Repeat with “negative” magnetic snap on the opposite side.
Attach bag lining to bag body.
1. With ride sides together, stitch along the top of your bag.
2. Turn bag right-side-out through your sewing gap in the lining.
Attach loops and strap to bag body.
1. Place your miniature straps through your hoops and sandwich between lining and body on either top sides of your bag. Fold in edges so that all seams and fabric edges are hidden.
2. Topstitch horizontally across where the miniature strap meets the bag to secure. On the side with the additional 4” (10.16 cm) gap, tuck in edges and topstitch.
3. Loop one end of your long strap through the attached loop. Fold the end of the strap around the loop on the bottom side: Pin and stitch in place.
4. Repeat for opposite side.
1. Fold two large pleats toward the centre of the bag, and hand stitch in place with a coordinating button. Be sure that both sides are matching. Repeat for back of bag.