1. You will need between three and four balls of Premier Candy Shop or Sweet Roll yarn for this project.
Hint: Instructions are written for a piece of plastic canvas measuring 13”x 22” but can be adjusted to any size.
1. Following the instructions on the Pom-Pom Maker, start with a batch of three balls worth of pom-poms, using at least two Candy Shop colourways for variety.
Hint: Be sure to keep long tails on your pom-poms, and alternate from the large and small sides of the Pom-Pom Maker for variety.
Build rug from pom-poms.
1. Beginning with the outside edges, attach pom-poms by threading the tails through the holes in the plastic canvas.
2. Tie yarn tails in a tight double knot at the back of the canvas to secure.
3. Continue to work your way around the mat. Once finished, add another layer of pom-poms on the inside of the first layer.
Hint: At this point, you will be able to tell whether you need more pom-poms to finish the rug. If so, make more before continuing to add pom-poms.
4. Continue to work your way in toward the centre of the rug until one side of the plastic canvas is completely covered in pom-poms.
Hint: As you add pom-poms on the rug, do not let identical pom-poms be side-by-side.
Attach rug backing.
Hint: Backing fabric should be in a colour complimentary to the Pom-poms.
1. Cut a piece of fabric to the same dimensions as the plastic canvas. In this case: 13” x 22”.
2. From remaining fabric, create “fabric tape” by applying Peel n’ Stick tape to your fabric and then cutting out the tape with fabric attached.
Hint: You will need a length of tape that matches the outside measurement of the plastic canvas. In this case: 70”.
3. Gradually peel paper backing from tape as you press around the outside of the canvas: Half of the tape should be on the canvas back, and the other should wrap around to the front, securing the backing and trapping yarn tails.