Create scalloped skirt piece.
1. Cut piece of printed cotton fabric measuring 39 ¾” x 24 ½” (101 x 62 cm).
2. Hem one long side by folding fabric edge ¼” (0.6 cm) toward wrong side, pressing, and folding again by ½” (1.3 cm), then stitching to secure.
3. Cut a piece of paper using your circle cutter measuring 12” (30.5 cm). Fold in half and cut along fold to create half circle template.
4. Fold hemmed edge of fabric toward right side of the apron skirt piece so that half circle template fits between the hem leaving a ¼” (0.6 cm) from the folded edge.
5. Mark the centre and trace half circle template at the centre. Add one half circle tracing to each side of the centre circle.
6. Stitch along circle markings, then cut away excess fabric leaving only a ¼” (0.6 cm) seam allowance, as shown.
Hint: Use small scissors to carefully snip the tight area between two half circles (“scallops”).
Finish with sash and lace trim.
1. Use a tape measure to determine the desired length of your sash.
Hint: Sash should be long enough to be tied in a bow behind your back.
2. Cut strip from red fabric measuring 8” (20.3 cm) by measurement determined in Step 1. Fold in half lengthwise and press.
3. Centre sash over apron skirt piece with edges matching, stitch ¼” (0.6 cm) from edge to secure.
4. Fold and press bottom of sash up by 1/4” (0.6 cm) toward edge.
6. Sew lace along the edge as shown, ruffling as you go.
To create a ruffled look, gently pleat the lace as you sew.